Skip to main content

I Was Most Alive With You by Craig Lucas at Playwrights Horizons

There's something incredibly exciting (for me) about going to a show at Playwrights Horizons. I don't know what it is--maybe it's because two of my favorite theater-going experiences ever were there, Mr. Burns and The Christians, and every time I enter those doors on 42nd street, I think, "will this be another play just like those great ones?"

Sadly, they rarely tend to be these days (although, for all their faults, I enjoyed Mankind and Log Cabin.) And for as ambitious as Craig Lucas' new play,  I Was Most Alive With You is, I can't help but say, "c'mon, Craig, less is more."

Lucas sets out to write a play loosely based on the Book of Job, highlighting one man's suffering. This man, Ash, who is Jewish, is a successful TV writer (apparently the writer of the longest-running show of all time? No, he's not Matt Groening) who is a recovering addict and let's not forget, did time for domestic abuse. (His Gentile wife, Pleasant, for some reason, has not divorced him yet.) He has an adopted son, Knox, who is not only deaf but also gay and a recovering addict. Are you following me? Ash's mother, Carla, who has financed his television show, announces she not only has lost all of her money to a Ponzi scheme, thus causing the cancellation of said show (that's not how television works! Was this on public access?) but has had a relapse of cancer that is now terminal. Are you overwhelmed? Oh, well, I forgot to mention that Knox has a Muslim deaf sex worker boyfriend (I guess? They live together but they don't sleep in the same bed but Knox loves him) named Farhad who is also an addict and has some unexplored love of video games.

Whew. I am exhausted. And I haven't even mentioned Carla's aide Mariama, who is a Jehovah's Witness, who also has a son on death row. Why? I don't know, I guess Lucas really want to show that everyone suffers. They suffer so so much. They suffer in every possible way that a person can suffer.

(There's another character, Astrid, who is Ash's writing partner who may have feelings for him but is also Knox's best friend. Whatever. She's one of the most obnoxious characters I've seen on stage in a long, long time.)

So let's recap what we're dealing with: religion, addiction and recovery, disability, and sexuality. Oh, wait, I forgot illness. And quite frankly, most of these things are so underdeveloped that they are just what these character merely are or have. Knox could be anybody--a paraplegic, blind, bisexual, heterosexual, Catholic, black, white, Asian, and really the story remains the same. Lucas piles these adjectives onto his protagonist simply because he can.

And when Knox is in a major accident, during which he loses his hand (and won't able to sign, get it?) it immediately threatens not only his sobriety but Ash's. And the play turns into a melodrama that borders, at times, on camp. Intentionally, the bad things keep piling up and piling up onto these characters and I understand what Lucas' intended effect was but it had the opposite one on me. I couldn't help but think, "enough is enough." Mostly because everything feels so cliched. The one thing that seems authentic about this play is Knox being deaf. But even so...who cares? The play wouldn't really be any different if he could hear. By the time the final scene occurs, during which I suppose the audience is supposed to be profoundly moved, I thought, "oh please." The relationship between Knox and Farhad is so poorly developed that I wasn't sure Knox was so obsessed with winning him back, or why Farhad would even show up at that particular moment. Craig Lucas, decide what your play is about, don't throw everything to wall to see what sticks.

What sticks the most is the theme of addiction, and it would've been admirable if Lucas had written a play about addiction and how it affects not just the addict but his family and friends. But Lucas can't even figure out who his protagonist is. Ash is the stand-in for Job but this is truly Knox's story. Oh, and did I mention there's also an incredibly obnoxious framing device, in which Ash and Astrid are using all that has happened in the first act for a new writing project? I mean, what kind of father would use his own son's intense and personal struggles for a new TV show?

Which brings me to the so-called "shadow cast." Look, it's admirable, sure. It allows I Was Most Alive With You to be accessible to a group of people who aren't always present at the theater. I cannot argue with the importance of that. However, director Tyne Rafaeli hasn't really figured out of a way to make this device work as well as it can. Having the shadow cast above the action is just distracting, and eventually I stopped watching them altogether. And well, are they really necessary from a pragmatic standpoint? Most of the characters sign anyway, and there are supertitles as well. It's well-intention but I'm not sure if it really succeeds.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On a Clear Day You Can See Forever at the Irish Repertory Theatre

A new revival (revisal?) of One a Clear Day You Can See Forever is now running at the Irish Repertory Theatre. You can make as many changes as you want and rework the book as much as you want but the show is inherently flawed and will probably never work. But the score, oh the score. Which leads me to my next and last point... Nobody, and I mean nobody , is Barbara Harris. See? So don't bother.

Favorite Performances of the 2017-2018 Season

Although these should come as no surprise to anyone who has spoken with me about theater this season, here's a list of my favorite performances of the 2017-2018 season (in no particular order): James McArdle, Angels in America . I've written at length about McArdle's performance but man, did he nail Louis Ironson. He not only nailed the New York Jewishness of the character (most impressive for a man from Scotland) but succeeded in not making Louise a one-dimensional monster that he is typically seen as. What Louis does is reprehensible but McArdle shows that he is not irredeemable. He also knocked the character's long (and long-winded) monologues out of the park. Tell me more about justice, Louis. Ethan Slater, Spongebob Squarepants . This guy is insanely talented. What a Broadway debut! He is Broadway's brand new triple (or quadruple!) threat; he sings, dances, acts, and even nails the physicality of the role beautifully. Slater carries the whole musical and wi

Mary Page Marlowe by Tracy Letts at Second Stage

I saw Tracy Letts' August: Osage County towards the end of its run, and I sat at the Music Box theater completely engrossed, hanging on every word. It was truly edge of your seat theater, and it's still one of my favorite theater-going experiences of all time. And then Letts played George in the magnificent revival of Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? , another one of my favorite theater-going experiences, with a performance that remains one of my all-time favorites. After reading/seeing some of his other plays, seeing him act on screen, I was pretty much convinced that the man is a god. So imagine my excitement when Second Stage announced they were transferring Mary Page Marlowe from Steppenwolf. Sometimes your heroes let you down. Look, Letts hasn't let me down completely. The writing of Mary Page Marlowe is still incredibly strong, and it was refreshing to see a play that wasn't trying to be the most topical and timely play in all the land. It's just