Skip to main content

This Ain't No Disco at The Atlantic Theater Company

The best thing about the new musical This Ain't No Disco is that whenever I hear the title I start to sing one of my favorite Talking Heads songs, "Life During Wartime."

And that might be the only good thing about it.

Writing a musical about Studio 54 (and the Mudd Club) and New York of the 1970s is a herculean task. Stephen Trask, Rick Elice, and Peter Yankowitz would've been smarter to streamline their plot and focus on the club(s) themselves, make the whole show about owner Steve Rubell and the debauchery of not just the scene but the city. Instead we get an incredibly cliched and sanitized musical about not just the clubs and Rubell but also two young people trying to get famous (although I'm not really sure that's even what they want), drug use, self-harm, incest/rape, a character that is called The Artist (just refer to him as Andy Warhol, for cryin' out loud, we all know who he is supposed to be), someone named Binky, and a trans character, for no reason other than the fact that trans issues are the hot button one of the day so why the hell not.

The whole thing is squeaky clean and sexless, and incredibly heterosexual even though Chad, the male protagonist, is gay, even though this is Studio 54. The cast is full of young, attractive, thin people who just look like they got dressed up for a 70s costume party. Nobody has any authenticity, and the whole thing plays like a theater camp production. They're all so shiny and smiley; I wouldn't let them into my club either. Surely they could've cast some older actors with some body diversity.

This Ain't No Disco might have one of the worst books I've seen in my nearly twenty years of theater-going. It takes about twenty minutes to realize who the main characters are, and even longer to figure out what their motivations are, even though I'm still not quite clear. Apparently Chad is an artist who is also gay and works at Studio 54 but we never really see him do any art or talk about wanting to be famous. Sammy, who has a child after being raped by her stepfather, who also cuts herself, also wants to be famous, I guess, I don't know, we know she's some sort of poet. I can buy that both of them want more than what life has given them but aspirations of fame and success, well, that comes out of nowhere. They both go to Studio 54 (even though Sammy's a punk because she wears a hat and is from Queens, like The Ramones, and only goes to the club because it's on her way to the subway home from work) and The Artist decides he's going to make Sammy a pop star (even though she just does some form of slam poetry for him) and Binky, who is a publicist I think, is going to push Chad, which culminates in a failed sham wedding at the club that inexplicably destroys both Binky and Chad. Are you still with me? This ain't no disco, and this ain't no good show. There's also Theo Stockman as Rubell taking big, huge bites out of the scenery, a DA who is first seen partying at Studio 54 and then wants to close the place down, and the trans man (which really, it's a cis female actress who draws on a mustache and is like "I want to be a man now") and his girlfriend, who do nothing to advance the plot and sing a song that includes a line along the lines of "I don't care what chromosome you have." My mouth was on the floor at that moment.

And did I mention that a good deal of the spoken dialogue is in rhyming couplets? Halting, obvious rhymes we can all see a mile away.

Oh, and the camp is everywhere to be found. Binky, who transforms into a Joan Rivers-type with her own talk show, at least I think that's what happens, sings a song that rips off American Psycho (the horror!) about how she's not done yet and plays the clarinet with a cigarette in her mouth. Steve Rubell leads the ensemble in a campy Egypt-inspired production number (if there's any historical context we don't know it). The DA gives his assistant(?) a blow job during one song, and poor Eddie Cooper has to have his head buried in another actor's lap the whole time. Sammy ODs because well, of course she does. That's what happens when you don't pay heed to the perils of fame.

And the biggest problem is that they're all sincere about everything. It's like nobody on stage has any idea how campy everything is. If you're going to do a show this awful and campy, embrace it. This show needs to be dirty, sexier, campier, and well, yes, better. It's shocking how pedestrian the score is, coming from Trask who has written of the best rock scores of all time, Hedwig and the Angry Inch. Every song sounds the same, nothing is memorable. Oh, wait, I take that back. There's a song that repeats the phrase "making it up as we go along" over and over again that has yet to leave my head since I saw the show. Not a good look when the show comes off as everyone making it up as they go along. The lyrics are amateurish, going for easy, obvious rhymes. They're shallow and do nothing to develop plot or character.

Oh, and did I mention The Artist, who we really know nothing about, is given a big, emotional eleven o'clock number?

I usually try to find ways that a show can improve itself but I think This Ain't No Disco isn't salvageable.  There's nothing good enough about it to even try. This ain't no good show.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On a Clear Day You Can See Forever at the Irish Repertory Theatre

A new revival (revisal?) of One a Clear Day You Can See Forever is now running at the Irish Repertory Theatre. You can make as many changes as you want and rework the book as much as you want but the show is inherently flawed and will probably never work. But the score, oh the score. Which leads me to my next and last point... Nobody, and I mean nobody , is Barbara Harris. See? So don't bother.

Favorite Performances of the 2017-2018 Season

Although these should come as no surprise to anyone who has spoken with me about theater this season, here's a list of my favorite performances of the 2017-2018 season (in no particular order): James McArdle, Angels in America . I've written at length about McArdle's performance but man, did he nail Louis Ironson. He not only nailed the New York Jewishness of the character (most impressive for a man from Scotland) but succeeded in not making Louise a one-dimensional monster that he is typically seen as. What Louis does is reprehensible but McArdle shows that he is not irredeemable. He also knocked the character's long (and long-winded) monologues out of the park. Tell me more about justice, Louis. Ethan Slater, Spongebob Squarepants . This guy is insanely talented. What a Broadway debut! He is Broadway's brand new triple (or quadruple!) threat; he sings, dances, acts, and even nails the physicality of the role beautifully. Slater carries the whole musical and wi

Mary Page Marlowe by Tracy Letts at Second Stage

I saw Tracy Letts' August: Osage County towards the end of its run, and I sat at the Music Box theater completely engrossed, hanging on every word. It was truly edge of your seat theater, and it's still one of my favorite theater-going experiences of all time. And then Letts played George in the magnificent revival of Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? , another one of my favorite theater-going experiences, with a performance that remains one of my all-time favorites. After reading/seeing some of his other plays, seeing him act on screen, I was pretty much convinced that the man is a god. So imagine my excitement when Second Stage announced they were transferring Mary Page Marlowe from Steppenwolf. Sometimes your heroes let you down. Look, Letts hasn't let me down completely. The writing of Mary Page Marlowe is still incredibly strong, and it was refreshing to see a play that wasn't trying to be the most topical and timely play in all the land. It's just